Thursday 8 April 2010

Trains, tantrums and tamborines.

Took Ruby up to Bristol on the train today. I like train journeys, but was reminded how rubbish it can be. Late trains, surly teenages sat exactly in the spot where I would like to (and am entitled to!!) park my pram, steep steps to get on them (albiet with very helpful conductor who helped me on) and general feelings of "could do better" about the whole thing. But I learnt that baby rice cakes are a VERY GOOD THING as they kept her quiet from Weston Milton to Parson Street. But I digress...

I am sat here mulling over the day and feeling exhausted. we are entering new territory. Tantrums. (Surely at nine months she is too young for them?!!?) The ten minute walk to my friends house from the train station took more like 25 minutes and went something along the lines of this....

RUBY: Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
ME: OK. here is your tambourine. (a new purchase yesterday which she LOVES)
RUBY: (Big smiles and much shaking of said tambourine. 5 seconds later, tambourine is dropped on the floor.)
RUBY: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
ME: (picks up tambourine and hands back to Ruby)

And this senario was then repeated for what felt like infinity. Until I could take it no more, and informed her that the tambourine was going away if she insisted on dropping it every five seconds. And then she screamed blue murder. For about five minutes. I was getting those looks from passers by, you know the ones, the "can't you DO SOMETHING about that baby?" looks from non parents, and sympathy but glad it is not MY baby kind of looks from fellow pram pushers. In the end I caved in and gave her the tambourine. And we recommenced the passing, dropping and picking up process all over again.

Honestly. This is a new thing for me, and it is like Chinese water torture. I dread to think how I will be when we have terrible two style tantrums. It gets easier, right?! (surely?????)

OH, and just a side note. She has learnt this new noise. It is a happy noise, but it the highest pitched mini scream. It even makes me wince, and I am her mummy who is meant to be able to let these things wash over me. I thought we were going to be chucked out of the classy Bedminster bistro that seemed to be entirely populated by well groomed mummies with their perfectly behaved babies for noise polution!

Its a trying time in my world of mummyhood right now. I think the rest of my evening is going to go something like this....

RUBY: (sound of gentle snoring.)
ME: (sound of bottle of red being opened)
ME: slurp

AND REPEAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment