Tuesday 8 September 2009

Snapshots that keep it real...

I was thinking about the image we present to the world when it come to being a mum. I feel enormous pressure to have a perfect baby that never cries, and happily coos and gurgles through any social occasion. I kind of feel like a failure if I can't live up to this. I also think there is a bit of a conspiracy amongst some mums to try and project to the world that their little one is a perfect baby and that all is well with the world. I am not a perfect mother and this whole new role has definitely not come easily to me. I thought I would go all earth mother-y as soon as my baby entered the world, despite not being a particularly "baby" person before her arrival. What I have found is that I am DEFINATELY no earth mother and have often really really struggled, despite loving her to bits and liking her infinitely more than any other baby I have ever met!

And then I thought about photos I have collected to document Ruby's first few months in this world. It occurred to me that I only have two photos of her crying.

TWO


And one of these was taken by my Mum! And yet crying is such a huge part of her day and her way of communicating, so it occurred to me as strange that I have not documented this. I have bought into trying to project to the world that she is a perfect baby without even realising it!

So in the interests of keeping it real…… here’s the pictures the world has never seen. A normal baby….. shock horror!!




There! That wasn't so bad, was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment